PS5 - Sony's big boy

If it's not on Xbox then you're a bad boy... but so are we.
Phlashman
Site Admin
Gamertag: Phlashman

Re: PS5 - Sony's big boy

Post by Phlashman »

DCHAMPX wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:12 am I know the design is a bit marmite, but I think it's an absolutely gorgeous console.
I'm the otherside, I'm glad I wait to the end of the generation to get a playstation as I think it looks super ugly. Black and white, blue LEDs? It's going to just be such a big distraction. the XSX seems so much more elegant designwise to me. PS4(and pro) did it so much better.

Hoping for a slim/pro redesign in a few years.
DCHAMPX

Post by DCHAMPX »

Phlashman wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:15 am
DCHAMPX wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:12 am I know the design is a bit marmite, but I think it's an absolutely gorgeous console.
I'm the otherside, I'm glad I wait to the end of the generation to get a playstation as I think it looks super ugly. Black and white, blue LEDs? It's going to just be such a big distraction. the XSX seems so much more elegant designwise to me. PS4(and pro) did it so much better.

Hoping for a slim/pro redesign in a few years.
Oh I get it, but I'm 100% sure we will get customisable fins either officially or via a skin. There's a matte black mock up doing the rounds online which looks stealthy AF. They're definitely trying to stand out by not going with just another big black box in a TV unit.
Phlashman
Site Admin

Post by Phlashman »

Digital Foundry's piece breaking down the PS5 Breakdown breakdown.

I agree with what they are saying about the two different communications strategies.

MS has definitely been more open and upfront about stuff, it's paid off in some ways (all the great press about BC and load times) and not in others (actually telling people how much next gen SSDs actually cost, giving people access to 3rd party cross gen preview code and people being shocked at how "un next gen" it looks).

And the exact same is true of the PS5. Those certified NVME drives aren't going to be coming in cheaper but MS took the flack and cross gen games really aren't going to be "eye melting" next gen on PS5 either.

Interesting that they said they haven't got a PS5 or have any sign that they will get one. Surely it close enough that Sony should be sorting press versions? They should have hundreds of thousands made by now. A few dozen for press shouldn't be hard to collate?
Born2beSlicker
Gamertag: Born2beSlicker

Post by Born2beSlicker »

Xbox Series consoles being out in the press’s hands over a month from shipping is actually the outlier. Previous generations, the hardware wouldn’t turn up for review until the week of release. A few times big sites like IGN have had to flat out buy their own units just to get coverage in time.
It’s nice to see you again 💘
DCHAMPX

Post by DCHAMPX »

I don't think Sony have had to do much - The hype train is already there for the console and they have the player base already to not have to try and win them for the next generation also. People harp on about the console war, but there simply wasn't one this generation.

Sure, there will be a fair few deciding on one or the other, but I'm fairly certain the majority know what they want from a console or are embedded so far into one ecosystem that crossing over would be more hassle than it's worth. The latter is more apparent nowadays with digital releases being much more common - Would a gamer who has owned an Xbox 360 and Xbox One, has a vast digital library and friends-list he's compiled for several years give it all up for another console where he has to start again? No. The same is true for PS players too - myself included.
Born2beSlicker

Post by Born2beSlicker »

I believe that ecosystem argument is why Xbox has been so aggressive with their ecosystem. Play Anywhere, XCloud, Smart Delivery, Game Pass Ultimate and probably some stuff I’m forgetting.

They know how many people are engrained in other systems because XBO was a flop and Microsoft gave up when Halo 5 didn’t turn things around. So they’re trying to make the ecosystem as enticing as possible but to also make it so that it’s not tied to a box. They want XSX to sell amazing but they’re not banking on it. They’re burning an incredible amount of money to get as many people to sign up as possible to something so that is all plugged into Azure.
Last edited by Born2beSlicker on Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phlashman
Site Admin

Post by Phlashman »

Totally, Game Pass is the perfect antidote to anyone with that ecosystem worry. It lightens the blow if your new system of choice has a few hundred games ready to go.

Also I think we're going to see them press on into the PC market too. It'd be cool if the buy once play anywhere extended across PC and Xbox more.

But Dchamp is right, Sony's big win last gen was extra large given it was the gen a lot of sales went digital.
Born2beSlicker

Post by Born2beSlicker »

Phlashman
Site Admin

Post by Phlashman »

Look cool, but also a lot of information on the screen.Wonder how many third parties will do the extra work to support and localise all those features?
Capt Underpants

Post by Capt Underpants »

Looks very sexy!