The big Coronavirus (COVID-19) thread

Warning: Opinions expressed in this forum maybe dumb and not thought through.
Capt Underpants

The big Coronavirus (COVID-19) thread

Post by Capt Underpants »

Think we'll all be back in another lockdown soon? :)
Phlashman
Site Admin
Gamertag: Phlashman

Re: The big Coronavirus (COVID-19) thread

Post by Phlashman »

You know what, I was thinking about what to do when someone starts a Covid thread. I'm half in the mind to just ban/lock it, because at this point who's not sick of all the covid talk? We've all done pretty much fuck all interesting for 6-9 months, other than the weather this is the only thing we've got to talk about. Mainly about idiots not obeying the rules, mainly about the fuckwits "in charge" of it all. Have friends who've not left their house since March over doing it (without knowing their personal medical situation)? Can you believe neighbour X had their grandkids round (who are actually providing childcare for an overstretch nurse)?

But I'll leave it open, hopefully it'll concentrate the talk here rather than leak everywhere.

My situation is, I'm not a key worker, I worked from home before and throughout, if anything busier than usual as I've done some work with an NHS supplier. We had big plans this year, we didn't really go away last year so we could spend around a month total traveling this year and one by one obviously that went to shit. My partner, she's a tattoo artist and went 4 months without anything and wasn't covered by any of the government schemes because she was an apprentice for most of the last few years earning little to nothing. But we're fine. My step daughter is 16, and had her GSCEs cancelled so she had to deal with that mess and stress. Again, nothing compared to people who've lost people, nothing compared to what nurses, carers and key workers have had to deal with.

My biggest personal problem, is I'm a planner, I like to have the next year or even more planned, festivals booked, trips planned. This just makes it impossible and that's getting me down (again nothing compared to real problems people have).

But most of all, the biggest thing is the fucking shitshow running this at some point I thought they'd get on track but it's just getting worse. Bringing in the "Rule of 6" and making an exception for going shooting with your mates on his dads estate. Padding friends companies with bullshit contracts at a time when literally your mistakes are costing peoples lives. Fuck. And yeah, why not carry on with shitty Brexit at the same time.

So yeah. 2020.
Capt Underpants

Post by Capt Underpants »

Phlashman wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:14 am You know what, I was thinking about what to do when someone starts a Covid thread. I'm half in the mind to just ban/lock it, because at this point who's not sick of all the covid talk? We've all done pretty much fuck all interesting for 6-9 months, other than the weather this is the only thing we've got to talk about. Mainly about idiots not obeying the rules, mainly about the fuckwits "in charge" of it all. Have friends who've not left their house since March over doing it (without knowing their personal medical situation)? Can you believe neighbour X had their grandkids round (who are actually providing childcare for an overstretch nurse)?

But I'll leave it open, hopefully it'll concentrate the talk here rather than leak everywhere.

My situation is, I'm not a key worker, I worked from home before and throughout, if anything busier than usual as I've done some work with an NHS supplier. We had big plans this year, we didn't really go away last year so we could spend around a month total traveling this year and one by one obviously that went to shit. My partner, she's a tattoo artist and went 4 months without anything and wasn't covered by any of the government schemes because she was an apprentice for most of the last few years earning little to nothing. But we're fine. My step daughter is 16, and had her GSCEs cancelled so she had to deal with that mess and stress. Again, nothing compared to people who've lost people, nothing compared to what nurses, carers and key workers have had to deal with.

My biggest personal problem, is I'm a planner, I like to have the next year or even more planned, festivals booked, trips planned. This just makes it impossible and that's getting me down (again nothing compared to real problems people have).

But most of all, the biggest thing is the fucking shitshow running this at some point I thought they'd get on track but it's just getting worse. Bringing in the "Rule of 6" and making an exception for going shooting with your mates on his dads estate. Padding friends companies with bullshit contracts at a time when literally your mistakes are costing peoples lives. Fuck. And yeah, why not carry on with shitty Brexit at the same time.

So yeah. 2020.
Feel free to delete if you want the forum to be completly Covid free! Was totally thinking though it's probably best to have it all in the one big thread instead of a bunch of new topics being created for all the twists, turns and flip flops we're sure to still get.

But please do lock it up if things get nasty or someone jumps in with some crazy 5G theories. :lol:

Your final point on how things have been handled though absoloutly nails it for me. My thoughts exactly on the ongoing shitshow.
Phlashman
Site Admin
Gamertag: Phlashman

Post by Phlashman »

No, I'll keep it up. As you said it's good to have it all in one place. People need a place to vent.

But yeah, a new lockdown around November 10-11th wouldn't be too much of a problem for a few of us around here.
DCHAMPX

Post by DCHAMPX »

Phlashman wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:14 am Mainly about idiots not obeying the rules
Unfortunately, I've the pleasure of knowing far too many idiot covid-deniers here and stateside. Absolutely baffles me. Maybe we'll find out which ONE of us this applies to.

ChoZanWan

Post by ChoZanWan »

Having had to go through it (not severe) with my wife, it infuriates me to see the absolute idiocity of people. Whether its not wearing a mask up to full blown Chinese-designed bioweapon conspiracy, its both saddening and maddening to see how little we as a species think of others.

How hard is it to wear a mask? Minutes a day to make someone feel a little safer.
Dazzler UK
Gamertag: Dazzler UK

Post by Dazzler UK »

I am absolutely convinced I had it in early Feb, even though I don’t think we had begun talk of it by then. I had all the symptoms and the cough was horrendous, I couldn’t sleep for about a week because of it!

As for work, i was on furlough from March - June then came back when the pubs re-opened. Expecting England & Wales to follow Scotland and shut them for 2 weeks again so I wonder if I’ll be furloughed again then as there is absolutely no work for me to do if that’s closed.

I think the main thing for me now is hoping this vaccine works, I really think we can start heading back towards normality once that’s rolled out.
Born2beSlicker
Gamertag: Born2beSlicker

Post by Born2beSlicker »

It’s worth remembering that when a vaccine exists, we won’t be back to no masks and back to 2019 behaviour right off the bat.

It’s going to take months to distribute it throughout the population. Then there will be people who get the vaccine but their immune system won’t take it, meaning they’ll still be vulnerable. Yet due to the high number of vaccinations required, they’re very likely not going to test you to make sure you’re actually inoculated. Then there will be people not fit for the vaccine as well as those who will undoubtedly refuse to take it for...reasons.

The world that we’re in right now won’t be gone for a while yet. China is mostly back to normal but they’re still maintaining masks, sanitising and social distancing, to put it in perspective. There’s also the health minister (I think) saying that not EVERYBODY is going to get one. They’re going to vaccinate essential workers and the most vulnerable first. Our Government is still stuck on herd immunity.
It’s nice to see you again 💘
Dazzler UK
Gamertag: Dazzler UK

Post by Dazzler UK »

I remember reading somewhere that when the big pharma companies such as GSK get their vaccine approved they will be able to do incredibly high volume, around 1bn of them by June. But unfortunately they're behind some of the first vaccines such as the Oxford one. As has been said it's (rightly) going to health care workers and the vulnerable first, much like the flu jab.

Big fan of reading antivax and Covid conspiracy theorists on twitter, they're most amusing :D
hallben
Gamertag: hallben

Post by hallben »

I very much doubt masks will ever go away. They might not be mandated in a certain way, but they will be a part of how we dress going forward.