The big Coronavirus (COVID-19) thread

Warning: Opinions expressed in this forum maybe dumb and not thought through.
Libster

Re: The big Coronavirus (COVID-19) thread

Post by Libster »

I know someone who won’t take the vaccine. He says it’s because the vaccine is unproven, we won’t know if it causes any long term effects for 20 years. He’s an idiot.

I’d take the vaccine now if I could.

In related news, there’s going to be a trial of the BCG vaccine, usually against TB, to see if it works against COVID. If so that gives the scientists more time to check the actual vaccine is safe.
Harry

Post by Harry »

hallben wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:37 pm I very much doubt masks will ever go away. They might not be mandated in a certain way, but they will be a part of how we dress going forward.
That can’t be the case. That’s fecking depressing if even remotely true. I can’t imagine past Christmas people putting up with anymore funny business from the politicians and the police can’t fine millions of people.

I got my random test sitting here which I’ll do on Sunday. Things in Norwich are on the rise but I’m pretty sure the rise is due to clusters of cases at the university and before that a meat packing factory.

After all of this, working in an open shop with 3-500 other people I still only know one person who’s had it and that was in March and he didn’t pass it on to anyone else.

Imagine being unemployed on top of having to dodgy a bloody virus.
hallben
Gamertag: hallben

Post by hallben »

Depressing sure, but realistic. I think so.

I am in a low risk area and know of 3 contractions and 1 death (friend of a friend) personally.

I suspect many people know more people than they realise who have been directly effected by this thing, not like workplaces or individuals want to spread the news after all.
Harry

Post by Harry »

hallben wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:38 pm Depressing sure, but realistic. I think so.

I am in a low risk area and know of 3 contractions and 1 death (friend of a friend) personally.

I suspect many people know more people than they realise who have been directly effected by this thing, not like workplaces or individuals want to spread the news after all.

That’s REALLY annoyed me at work.
A couple of people will go off sick for some COVID reason or another and it’s all whispers about who it is and no one is allowed to know.
When I get it, if I get it, I’ll make sure everyone knows myself so they can perhaps not go round a mates that day or perhaps leave it till next month to go visit granny etc etc
Born2beSlicker
Gamertag: Born2beSlicker

Post by Born2beSlicker »

My local M&S was in the news because somebody on staff got it and management actively withheld who got it and what department they were in. They told staff not to isolate and just “get on with it”.

Fuck. That. That should not be allowed.
It’s nice to see you again 💘
hallben

Post by hallben »

Wouldn’t it have been great if people had done what they were told. Now because of certain morons in certain parts of the UK we have another national lockdown. Thanks.
Capt Underpants

Post by Capt Underpants »

hallben wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:34 pm Wouldn’t it have been great if people had done what they were told. Now because of certain morons in certain parts of the UK we have another national lockdown. Thanks.
I'd rather blame the sheer incompetence of this utterly shambolic government.
hallben

Post by hallben »

Sure, it’s not been a perfect response from government, it’s actually one that has relied to heavily on people doing the right thing. Something it seems they are incapable of doing.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

I think you’re letting the government off too easily IMO Ben, there’s nothing people could do if there’s not an effective track and trace system in place. Especially given the government's confusing messaging about supporting the economy etc.

Why they didn’t insist Uni's stay online only etc, instead making the student population unwittingly become super spreaders, especially given how many were probably asymptomatic too.
Phlashman
Site Admin
Gamertag: Phlashman

Post by Phlashman »

Totally, not calling this second lockdown early over half term was a huge mistake too. These extra weeks mean it's going to have to be longer and still having kids at school is ridiculous. It's like having a daily local super spreader event.

It's just the constant terrible choices. They're endless. It's not even a political thing any more in my opinion. It's just basic competence, and they don't have it.